Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Getting Started

So, I think I need to do some blogging about my art.
Mostly in an attempt to make myself more artsy.
I named this blog Doodle Babble because that is what I describe my art as... Doodle Babble. Sometimes it's incoherent scribblings, sometimes it's deeply cryptic, meaningful stuff all via wiggly lines, mostly from subconscious origins.
It all started with a stain on a white t-shirt in my early 20's. I thought I'd simply cover up the stain with some doodles. I got my rapidograph pen because the tip was very fine and the ink read 'waterproof' on it's label and started drawing. It took years to complete, but many long stretches of time passed without touching it. My commitment to my art was somewhat fleeting. I was easily distracted by life.
I am currently in the process of properly digitizing all of the drawing from 'The Shirt'. Eventually, I hope to create an official repeat pattern of it to share with the world on Spoonflower.
The Shirt became an interesting study of my growth as an artist since it spanned so many years to complete. I began in the lower center of the front of the shirt & worked my way up, out & over the shoulders & around the sleeves to the back. It was my main sketchbook. I carried it everywhere when I was binge drawing, kinda like a security blanket. The drawings got looser & on occasion, more meaningful as time went on.

Drawing on a t-shirt with a rapidograph pen is very time consuming & meditative. While the ink flows nicely, you do have to use a bit of a pointilistic approach since the tip gets caught in the weave of the fibers, ya can't just 'draw'. Like a slow motion tattoo gun, with a single needle. This obstacle forced me to have to go over my line work repeatedly to smooth out any edges to make things look crisp. I now use a similar technique even when I draw on paper. I prefer the organic, variable thickness in my lines.




This untitled drawing shows how repeatedly going over the lines gives that variable thickness. I think it gives the line work movement. I created this to be used as a mirrored repeat pattern on Spoonflower for fabric. Until I can come up with a better name, it's Curves.


No comments:

Post a Comment